The National Service Scheme (NSS) Unit has been very active in conducting a variety of social service camps and activities throughout the year. The NSS Unit has received State Award for its outstanding community service for the year 2013-14. In association with SANCHALAN the NSS Unit observed “Kargil Vijay Diwas" on 27th July 2014, initiated a Bio- Diversity park and planted 257 different species of garcenia plants in Memory of Kargil war martyrs at Jnana Bharathi campus on the occasion of 15th Anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas. It also organized a National Integration Camp during September 2014. In coordination with Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagar Palike, Rajarajeshwari Nagar the NSS Unit organized a “Swachha BHARATH Abhiyaan - NSS camp” (Clean & Green programme) from 2nd October 2014 to 21st October 2014. To commemorate the Birth Anniversary of Sardar Vallabhai Patel, a “National Unity Day” was organized. In association with the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India and Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan a “National Integration Camp” was held during March 2015.
Programme Coordinator: Dr. N. Sathish Gowda,
Assistant Professor, University Law College
Jnana Bharathi Campus,
Bengaluru – 560 056
Office Phone: 080 – 23214685
Office Mail id: email@example.com
FROM THE PROGRAM COORDINATOR’S DESK
I consider it as my proud privilege to serve in the capacity of program coordinator of National Service Scheme Bangalore University Unit Jnanabharathi Campus and take this opportunity to welcome all my fellow members of the NSS Fraternity to NSS Bangalore University. NSS unit of Bangalore University is a budding unit which derivers its strength from 110 colleges in and around Bangalore. 52 Departments within the University summing it up to 10.000 NSS Volunteers all over the vicinity. The milestone this scheme aims to establish is to instill the ethos of discipline, dignity and decency amongst the student fraternity and most importantly nurture the values of feeling responsible and to respect the commitment towards the society which I strongly perceive as the foundation principles that one must acquire to love the Country.
From the words of Swami Vivekananda “You the is the best time. The way in which you utilize this period will decide the nature of coming years that lie ahead of You”
Keeping these words of wisdom by the great monk in mind the vision of the NSS is to ensure that the students enrolling into this magnanimous scheme take up initiatives that not only helps them in their own character building but also helps in building the nation at large. To establish Peace, Unity, Integrity, Tranquility and Fraternity will be our guiding philosophy and channelize the thinking of the students in the direction of team work will be of utmost priority.
With the support of the administration, management, student fraternity and the volunteers at large, The national Service Scheme Bangalore University will gather all the required impetus and shall strive to stay committed and focused in serving the nation by providing the maximum possible service to the society within its ambit. And as NSS fraternity we shall follow the path professed and advocated by the Mahatma Gandhi which is “Selfless Service to mankind and creatures” Jai Jagath.
Dr. Sathish Gowda.N
B.A.L.,LL.B.,LL.M., M.A., M.Phil., PGDHRM, PGDMCJ, Ph.D.
NSS Programme Coordinator
I NSS Volunteer Enrollment for the year 2014-15
NSS Strength allocated to the University by State Government:- 18,000
Actual Enrollment : Male - 10,800:
Female - 9,200:
Total - 20,000
NSS observed "Kargil Vijay Diwas" on 27-07-2014: SANCHALANA in association with NSS Bangalore University inaugurated a 'Bio Diversity Park' in memory of Kargil War Martyrs at Jnana Bharathi, Bangalore University Campus on the occasion of 15th Anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas. The function was attended by B. Thimme Gowda, Vice-Chancellor of Bangalore University, Dr. A. N. Yellappa Reddy, noted Environmentalist, P. M. Muthappa, Kargil War Vetaran, Prof. Siddappa, former VC of BU, Dr. Venkataswamaiah & Dr. Sreenivas, NSS Programme Coordinator, Bangalore University, Speaking on the occasion, Prem Prasad Shetty, Managing Trustee of 'Sanchalana' said that the project of developing a Bio- Diversity Park at Bangalore University Campus is taken up by SANCHALANA in association with Bangalore University, NSS & Bio-Park Dept jointly. The said Park will consist of 527 different species of garcenia trees with high medicinal value which represent all the 527 Kargil war matyrs. This will be one of its kind in the entire country & will help in research work to university students as well".
Bangalore University, NSS Cell and Bhagawan Mahaveer Jain College, Bangalore jointly organized a one-day work shop on 02-08-2014 at Bhagawan Mahaveer Jain College, J.C. Road, Bangalore on “ Rain Harvesting and Waste Management” for NSS Programme Officers. On this occasion, 170 NSS Programme Officers and other delimiters participated.
Four-day workshop was organized for teachers in coordination with Sampthami Trust on “Integral Education for the Teacher” (Paripoorna Shikshanakagi Shikshakara Kaaryagaara) at NSS Bhavan. Bangalore University, Bangalore. 100 teachers and other dignitaries participated.
- Bangalore University conducted two state-level Pre-Republic day camp from 09.2014 to 10-09-2014 for Girls, and from 11-09-2014 to 13-09-2014 for Boy students volunteers from all over the Universities of Karnataka. On this occasion NSS volunteers were selected for the State and South Zone Republic Day Parade Camp. The First camp was inaugurated by Sri Ravish R, Inspector of Police, Jnanabharathi Police station, Bangalore . During his speech, he spoke about the importance of involvement and the rejuvenation of integrity. Sri A. N. Poojar, Head, NSS Regional Centre, Govt. of India, also participated as Chief Guest. This programme was chaired by Dr. Gananath Shetty Yekkar, State Liaison Officer, NSS Cell, Govt. of Karnataka. He addressed the volunteers about the discipline and cultivating of self-confidence and ethics. The Second camp was inaugurated by Dr. Renuka Prasad, Professor, Dept of Zoology & Coordinator, Bio-Diversity Park, Bangalore University. He spoke about the need for environmental awareness among the volunteers.
- Government of Karnataka sanctioned National Integration Camp to Bangalore University NSS Cell which organised a National Integration Camp from 21st September to 27th September 2014 at NSS Bhavan, Bangalore University. The Inaugural function was held on 22nd September 2014 at NSS Bhavan. Programme was inaugurated by Dr. H. Srinivasaiah, President, Karnataka Gandhi Smaraka Nidhi. This programme was chaired by Honorable Vice-Chancellor Prof B. Thimme Gowda. K. K. Seethamma, Registrar, delivered the valedictory address on 27th September, 2014. The Chief Guest was Dr. Thejeshwini Anantha Kumar. 125 NSS volunteers and 15 NSS Programme Officers from different States participated. The programme was a grand success.
- Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike, Rajarajeshwari Nagar, NSS, Bangalore University, Bangalore and Environment Friendly Association Federation, Rajarajeshwari Nagar, Bangalore, jointly organized a “Swachha hasiru Abhiyaan - NSS camp”(Clean & Green programme) from 02-10-2014 to 21-10-2014. The Inaugural function was organised at BET Convent, Rajarajeshwari Nagar, Bangalore. Sri B. Bimappa, Joint Commissioner, BBMP, Rajarajeshwari Nagar, Bangalore inaugurated the function and gave a key note address Prof. B. Thimme Gowda, Vice –Chancellor, Bangalore University and K. Siddappa, former Vice-Chancellor Bangalore University were the Chief Guests. Valedictory Address was given by Prof. K. K. Seethamma, Registrar, Bangalore University, Bangalore on 22nd October 2014. The function was attended by Sri. Ramachandra, Corporator, Rajrajeshwari Ward, BBMP, Sri Rajkumar, Youth Leader, Prof. Renukaprasad, Camp Officer and Dr. R. Srinivasa, NSS Programme Co-ordinator and other dignitaries. 1700 NSS volunteers and 25 NSS Programme Officers from different colleges of Bangalore University participated in the programme.
- To commemorate the Birth Anniversary of late Sardar Vallabhai Patel, the Iron Man of India, Bangalore University, National Service Scheme had organized the celebrations at N.S.S. Bhavan on the 31st October 2014 in a grand gala manner. The theme of this Programme was “National Unity Day”. The N.S.S. Regional Office a week before had called around 10 Colleges who have N.S.S Units in their Colleges to involve around 50 N.S.S Volunteers per College. Honorable Vice-Chancellor Prof B. Thimme Gowda, inaugurated the “National Unity Day” by flagging off the “Run for Unity” at the Administrative Office, Bangalore University.
- Around 10 Colleges with more than 400 N.S.S. Volunteers started off the Run for Unity with involvement and mental freshness to remember the contribution made by the Iron Man Sardar Vallabhai Patel towards the nation, from the Administrative Block to N.S.S. Bhavan. All the N.S.S. Volunteers raised the slogans on the national unity.
- Sanchalan, a voluntary organisation involved in service and campaign on various social issues & NSS, Bangalore University jointly celebrated the Birth Anniversary of Sardar Vallabhabhai Patel as "Rashtreeya Ektha Diwas" on 31-10-2014 at Jnana Jyothi Auditorium, Central College Campus, Bangalore. Noted social worker Sri N. Ravikumar who spoke on the occasion said, "The life and message of Sardar Patel who unified the country against all odds, must be a role model to the younger generation & a feeling of unity was the need of the hour in the country at this juncture”. On this occasion there was a felicitation programme of the Medal Winners at the Para Asian Games 2014 viz., Sri Girisha H. N. Sharath Gayakwad, Farman Basha, Sakina Khatun and Niranjan Mukundan.
- ‘Swacha Abhiyaan’ Programme was organized in coordination with BMS College, NMKRV College, Jyothinivas College and Maharani Lakshmi Ammani College for Women, Bangalore from 7th to 13th December 2014 at NSS Bhavan, Bangalore. 200 NSS volunteers participated in this programme.
- Sate R. D. Parade -2015 : The State-level Programme on behalf of State NSS Cell, Bangalore University jointly organized a State Republic Day Parade Training Camp from 14-01-2015 to 27-01-2015 at NSS Bhavan, Bangalore University. The programme was successful with timely guidance of the State Liaison Officer and Asst. Programme Advisor. 40 boys and 40 Girls from all the Universities and Directorates of the State participated in the Parade on 26th January 2014 at Manekshaw Parade Grounds.
- Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan, Government of India Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports and NSS Cell, Bangalore University jointly organized “National Integration Camp” from 7th to 11th March 2015 at NSS Bhavan, Bangalore University. 250 volunteers and Officers from all over the India participated. The camp was inaugurated by Dr. B. Thimme Gowda, Honorable Vice-Chancellor, Sri Ramaswamy Krishnan, Member, SACYP, UNICEF was the Chief Guest and Sri S. Satheesh, Zonal Director, NYKS Karnataka Zone presided over the function. The event was a grand success.
- Bangalore University conducted two University Level Personality Development Camps from 13-03-2015 to 19-03-2015 and from 25-03-2015 to 31-03-2015 for students volunteers from affiliated colleges of Bangalore University. The first camp was inaugurated by Nandini, Professor, Department of Environmental Science, Bangalore University. The Second camp was inaugurated by Prof. K.K. Seethamma, Registrar, Bangalore University, Bangalore. In these two camps, around 450 NSS Volunteers and 20 NSS Programme Officers participated. Activities included Sharamadhan for the improvement of Bio-Diversity Park.
- A large member of volunteers and NSS Programme Officers participated in workshops/street plays/rallies to create awareness in the public about the importance of Blood Donation, deadly diseases like pulse-polio, tree plantation, rain harvesting, Aids Awareness programme, Swacha Bharath Abiyan environment issues etc.,
- Volunteers and NSS Programme Officers from the Units of affiliated colleges have been deputed to participate in National Integration camps, National and State Youth Festivals, and programmes conducted by various Universities, apart from participation in National and State Republic Day Parades.
- Regular Activities Programmes :
The 120 NSS Units of Bangalore University engaged in the following activities to create awareness in the community during the year 2014-2015:
- Creating awareness on prevention of soil erosion and work on soil conservation among the agricultural community.
- Voluntary Blood Donation Camps. Thousands of units of blood were donated to Indian Red Cross Society, Govt. Hospitals and other Blood Banks.
- Health Education and General Health Check-up camps
- Eye Donation and its importance
- Animal Health checkup camps
- Programmes for women and their rights, both constitutional and legal.
- Unorganized labour welfare programmes
- Personality Development of the student community
- Awareness of various schemes and projects sanctioned by Government
- Awareness about water pollution and its prevention
- Extraction and preservation of old monuments
- Anti-terrorism awareness programme
- Rallies to create awareness in the public about the importance of Blood Donation, deadly diseases like pulse-polio, personality development programmes, AIDS Awareness, importance of Solar energy, importance of protecting ancient monuments etc.
- Seminars and workshops on gender sensitization, personality development, media management programmes etc.,
- Waste management programme
- Water conservation
- Ozone Protection Programme
- Seminars and Workshops on gender sensitization, personality development, media management programmes etc
- Swachcha Bharathi Abhiyan Programme (Clean and Green Programme)
Special Camping Programme :
During the NSS Special Camps of 2014-2015, much thrust was given on the themes of Environment, Conservation of Cultural/Historical Heritage Health, Rural Development, etc., and activities chalked out accordingly.
- Out of the 240 colleges with NSS units affiliated to Bangalore University, about 165 colleges successfully conducted NSS Special Camps.
- The NSS units of the colleges organized cultural evenings by staging Dramas and Skits and organized lectures on social awareness etc. They also involved different departments like the Family Planning Association of India, Forest Department, Health Department, Police Department, Indian Red Cross Society, University Departments and other N.G.Os.
- The NSS Units of the colleges organized AIDS awareness rallies/Blood Donation Camps, Need of Blood and significance of Blood Donation, Personality Development Programmes, Health Awareness, Animal Health checkup and General health checkup, Pulse Polio Awareness and other programmes, as per the directions from the State and Central Government.
- More than 6,500 volunteers took up the task of formation of roads, formation of School Grounds, Compounds, formation of Houses, Construction /Cleaning of drainages, Desalting of Ponds, Tree Plantation, Health checkup camps, Blood Donation Camps, Literacy Programme, Old age pension benefit Programme, etc.