Year of Establishment : October 2016
Special Officer(i/c) : Dr. S. Y. Surendra Kumar
Department of Political Science
To strive for excellence through inclusive education for realization of a vibrant and inclusive society through knowledge creation and dissemination
- To strive towards empowerment of Persons with Disability (PwD) by promoting equal opportunity, protection of rights, full participation and accessibility to higher education.
- Inculcate right values among the PwDs.
- Promote leadership qualities among the PwD students and employees of the University.
- Contribute to the process of creating a knowledge society.
- To promote diversity and inclusive practices in the campus and provide the PwDs with adequate facilities and opportunities.
- To raise awareness regarding issues pertaining to the PwDs.
- To act as a counselling-cum-guidance centre for PwDs, with regard to academic, financial and other matters.
- To extend support to the PwDs to overcome problems and barriers emanating from discrimination at any level within its mandate.
- To organize seminars/symposia/workshop/conferences/exhibitions, from time to time on issues concerning the PwDs
- To organize sports and cultural events for PwDs.
Policies and Initiatives of the Cell
- Effective implementation of reservations policy under the (1995 PwD Act) in P.G and Ph. D courses for PwDs.
- Construction of Ramps to enable access of PwDs to all educational institutions on the university campus and colleges,, This includes departments, Administrative block, Library, Health Centre, Guest house, Hostels and other Centers in the campus.
- Providing laptops, scholarships, free hostel facilities and book for PwDs students and research scholars through SC/ST Cell, OBC cell and DSW.
- The Cell will collaborate with the Bangalore University Braille Resources Center, SC/ST/OBC/Minorities cell and departments in organizing various academic programme and coaching classes.
- Organizing Annual sports and cultural activities for PwDs in association with the University.
- Monitoring the successful implementation of government policies and programs for the PwDs.
- Celebrating International disabled Day and so on.
Action Plan of the Cell:
- Develop exclusive Website for PwD, provide adequate resources, online interactions and other e-services.
- New Building for the Cell
- Short Term courses for PwDs students on communicative English and ICT
- Establishment of the Department of Disability Studies at Bangalore University.
- Mini Bus/Van services for the PwDs to move around the campus.
- Ensure the construction of more ramps, disabled friendly toilets in all departments and Lifts wherever required.
- Exclusive Sports and Cultural Meet for PwDs students and employees.
- Improve the academic and physical environment for PwDs in the Bangalore University
- Conduct regularly Special Lectures/Seminars/Workshop/training programme on issues concerning PwDs.
- Access grants and funds from UGC, ICSSR, GOI, GOK and other recognized institutions to conduct various activities and programme for the PwDs.
Office of the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities,
Unique Disability ID
Office of the State Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities
Empowerment Cell for Differently Abled
Administrative Block, Jnana Bharathi Campus
Bangalore University, Bengaluru-560056